Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Two and Three Witnesses

"...so that every word may be confirmed and upheld by the testimony of two or three witnesses." Matt. 18:16

Now we know that each of us are 'a' word of God and together we make up 'the' Word of God.

So, if every word is to be confirmed and upheld by the testimony of two or three witnesses...who or what are these 2 or 3 witnesses?

Didn't Jesus say that you know a tree by its fruit? So, the fruit testifies and makes valid the tree's claim.....its claim that it is a fruit tree.

So, if two is the number of witness, what two things about us provide this double witness? And if three is the number of resurrection, what about us testifies to resurrection life?


Jesus said that you would know them by their love....its the only catalyst for making all things One.

I guess my short version is that spirit, soul and body in the full image of God are the three witnesses that confirm the word.

Spirit=I AM
Soul= I Am Conscious
Body= I Appear

I was drawn too to what Jesus said about what his "two and three witnesses" were when the Jews would question his authority.

"If I alone testify in my behalf, my testimony is not valid and can not be worth anything.

There is Another Who testifies concerning Me and I know and am certain that his evidence on my behalf is true and valid.

I do not receive [a mere] human witness - the evidence which I accept on my behalf is not from man.

But I have as my witness something greater than that of John; for the works that the Father has appointed me to accomplish and finish, the very same works that I am now doing, are a witness and proof that the Father has sent me.

And the Father who sent me has Himself testified concerning me." John 5

and then again in John 8:
"Whereupon the Pharisees told him, you are testifying on your own behalf; you testimony is not valid and is worthless.

Jesus answered, Even if I do testify on my own behalf, my testimony is true and reliable and valid; for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I came from or where I am going.

...my judgement is true - my decision is right; for I am not alone in making it but there are two of us, I and the Father who sent me.

I am one [of the two] bearing testimony concerning myself, and my Father who sent me, He also testifies about me."

So, the Father and Son are the "two witnesses". One is the visible manifestation of the invisible, the son.....and the other is the invisible, the source of the son, the Father. Could we say this is the Spirit and the Word that are the two witnesses, and whenever these two agree, there is an appearing.

And Jesus said there was a third witness....his works.

Jesus saids his works provided a witness or were the fruit that validated his claim.

Now I know that works has come to be known as that 'anathama' word, for most associate it with carnal efforts at pleasing God. But Jesus was not talking about that kind of works. He said he only DID what he saw his Father DOING. Father must have been working, if Jesus said that his works were an assignment that brought validation or proof that the Father had sent him.

If Jesus said that every word must be established or confirmed by the testimony of two or three witnesses....testimony, means something or someone is giving forth a witness.

Jesus is our pattern....he is every man in finished form, actively at work doing what he sees his Father doing. What is Father doing?......"Let us make Man in our image"........He's involved in the making of a Man that is the Finisher of his creation.

No comments: