Monday, February 28, 2011

The Autobiography of Dora Van Assen

With Bobbie Mc Gonegal


His Story Lived Through Me
by Dora Van Assen


KNOW THYSELF, O MAN!


Dost thou discern, O Man, why I care so much for thee?
Or dost thou understand for what purpose thou wast made?
Or that I, even I, brought thee forth from my own seed?
Before ever the foundations of the earth were laid?


Thy substance was not hid when thou wast made in secret,
Curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
Mine eyes did see thy members being yet imperfect,
And in my book were written before I gave thee birth.


Before the mountains settled, or the rivers ran,
Or before the mighty sea divided from the land,
And beat it's roaring billows upon the shifting san,
When as yet ther were no depths, I brought thee forth, O Man!


Where wert thou when the earth was laid by my appointment,
When the Morning Stars chorused in glorious refrain?
When to the Sons of God there was no disappointment,
And before All fell under the thrall of sin's domain?


Wast thou not with ME then, being daily my delight,
Exulting in MY desire, reflecting all MY Light,
Living in MY presence, a fountain of ageless youth?


Did I not send thee down from the womb of the Morning,
Down into this world, fallen in sin and vanity?
Partaking thus of flesh and blood until the Dawning?
Of Man's deliverance and ascension into Me!


Why art thou cast down, O Man, and why dost thou despair?
Can thou not understand my own purpose for thee?
Even though passing through this route, thou art my treasure rare!
Thy face etched on my hand is MY LIKENESS THAT I SEE!!


Dedication


I want to didicate this book to my fataher, Klaas Kooy, and mother, Elizabeth Gortzak Kooy, who had the vision, courage, and determination to leave their native Holland and travel third class by boat with nine children to come to America, the land of opportunity, where every man is considered equal and has the right to rise to a higher way of life.


I also wish to honor my five brothers and six sisters who where so patient with me when I was a shy and awkward child, living in a dream world. I am blessed to be their sister.


Finally, I would like to remember all my friends and helpers in the gospel. Without these dear, precious people, this story could never have been written. We truly are all members one of another, all workers and laborers together in God, and as one, we all share alike in the glorious reward.


Acknowledgements


My life has been made up of bits and pieces of peoples and nations and tongues. I have ministered in every state in the union, except Alaska, Maryland, and Maine; and in eleven foreign countries. Although some only touched my life for a few minutes and no words were even exchanged, each one has played a special part in my life.


I want to express my love, appreciation and thanks to all my friends, scattered like salt, throughout America. You opened up your homes and your churches and you small gathering places in halls and basements. Wherever I was, you opened your hearts gladly to hear this wonderful message of God's reconciliation for all mankind.


Everywhere I laid my head was home, and it still it. I always had a place provided for me, from the slums of America to the jungles of Africa. God watched over me through these precious, wonderful people.


Some of your names are mentioned in various places throughout the book. Only lack of space prohibits the naming of everyone dear to my heart. However, I would like to honor David Hulse and Judy and Peter Demetris whose ministries and messages have had an enormous effect on me, changing me inwardly and awakening me to my true identity as Christ. I also appreciate Rhoda and Will Geeson, and Dale and Dorothy Davis, fellow workers in the gospel, who opened their hearts and homes to be during my years in California. I am blessed to have ministered with Dennis and Irene Johnson from Colorado, and I wish to express my deepest gratitude to Flo Haidt. In addition, I want to give special thanks to Edna Bass and the people of Faith Chapel, and to Bobbi McGonegal for all their help in getting this book into print.


Above all, I wish to acknowledge and praise my Heavenly Father, Creator of the universe to which I am related!


FOREWARD


For eight years, I was blessed to have shared my home with Dora Van Assen. As with many others whose lives she has touched, she has had a tremendous effect on me. Like all of us, she has her short-comings, but we know that the Lord God has accepted man as His equal. When Dora goes forth in the mighty anointing of God, I see her represent Him as truly Man and truly God. Dora has, most surely, been as John the Baptist to many during her world-wide ministry.


You will delighted and blessed, as I am, with the dealings of Christ in her life. If ever a person was called and anointed to preach and teach, it is Dora Van Assen.


Flora Belle Haidt
12-1-90

No comments: