Monday, February 28, 2011

The Autobiography of Dora Van Assen - Chap 15

TRAVELLING THE WORLD FOR GOD


HOME TO COLORADO


I managed to get home to Colorado before the dysentery overtook me.  I was ages trying to recover from its effects, and I felt drained of energy and enthusiasm.  However, as I worked with Dennis and Irene Johnson in the minsitry in Sedgwick, new life was breathed into me, and I was recharged to go again.  There dear people were always so supportive; they never questioned when the Lord sent me out.


The year after I returned from Africa, Sonny Udoh called me from New York, and I didn't even recognize who he was.  He kept saying, "This is Sonny from Nigeria.  This is Sonny."


Finally, it dawned on me that Sonny was in this country.  So, I said, "Your have to come to Denver."


And he said, "Yes, I know.  I'll call you when I get there."  And he did.


MEETINGS FOR SONNY


So, off I went to pick Sonny up at the airport, a hundred and eighty miles away.  What a joy to have his visit.  We arranged a convention in Sedgewick, and at this convention, God gave Sonny a special gift.  He stood up and said, "We are not beggers, but I have come because I want to receive a gift from God to take back to my piople.  I want the brothers to pray for me that I, too, will be able to minister the Word and lay hands on the sick that they might be healed.  I want these signs to follow me."


So, Brother Dale Davis prayed for Sonny, and as he prayed, a special anointing came upon Sonny, and oil began to come out of his hands.  Then, Brother Davis said, "I don't know whether you believe in this or not, but there is oil on Sonny's hands, and if you want to, you can put your hand on his and lay it on any part of your body that needs healing.


At that time a lady from North Carolina was living with us, and she had a growth on her nose.  So, she went forward and put her hand on Sonny's hand and put her hand to that growth on her nose, and the growth came right off.  She had made arrangements to have it removed by a doctor when God took it off!


After the meetings in Colorado, we headed toward Los Angeles, and on the way, we stopped in a town where Sonny had been invited to preach.  When Sonny went up to speak, he called the minister forward and said that he wanted to lay hands on him.  And as Sonny put his hands on the minister, he fell to the floor, and his congregation all rose to see what had happened to him.  When he cam up, he was speaking in other tongues.


In Dale Davis' church in Los Angeles, there was a mighty manifestation of the Lord through Sonny.


At last we put him on the plane back to Africa, and that anointing stayed upon him. When he got home, he had people coming through his house from morning till night to receive healing.  Many were healed, and the ones who were became members of the church.  They had to build a church that would seat six hundred to accomodate all these people.


YEARNING FOR AFRICA


Hearing about these exciting events caused my heart to yearn to return to Africa.  My last trip there had been in 1973, and at that time Sonny had two small churches.  He had kept saying to me, "You have to come back to Nigeria to see what God is doing.  No farmer plants a seed and does not return to see what happened to the seed."


And I said, "I'd love to, but God has to make a way for me."  The Father made me understand that the reason I was not permitted to go back before that time was that He wanted to give those dear people the opportunity to minister the word themselves to their own people.  He wanted them to begin to trust that Christ was within them, so that they didn't have such a poor image of themselves.  They had to realize that they, too, were beloved of the Father and chosen of God, and they had a word to speak to their own people that no one else could speak.


The missionaries who had been sent there over the years had not been able to go to some of the villages that were still in darkness, but now the natives themselves could go, because they had the ability to survive in some of those places, which we could not.  Only those born there and accustomed to the climate were able to live under those conditions.  But for the time being, I had to be content that my African brothers were in the Father's hands.


WEST  PALM BEACH


In 1980 God called me to West Palm Beach, Florida to be with Sister Flo Haidt and help with the work at West Gate Tabernacle.  I lived with her until 1990, and I continued to travel wherever the Lord sent me, to bring His message of love and unity.  This word has increased and enlarged everywhere.


THE DOOR OPENS FOR JAMAICA


During these years, I had the privilege of going to Jamaica twice with Brother Royce Kennedy.  His mother, Sister Wong, had been a missionary in Jamaica and had built a large, beautiful church there.  Her ministry covered Jamaica and some of the surrounding islands, and I believe even came into the United States.  It was wonderful to get to know this precious saint of God.  Her husband, Brother Tobinson, is still in charge of the work there.


My sister, Nellie Richardson, and Flo Haidt traveled with Brother Kennedy and me on our second trip to Jamaica, and on this trip, I really began to know Nellie and her love for people.  Nellie expressed her true Self; she didn't put on an outward appearance for man's sake, but she was the very example of Christ's love for His body.  We know we cannot go wrong if we allow His love to pour forth from our heart, for God always looks upon the heart and the motive.  Praise Him!


THE RETURN TO AFRICA


Then in 1982, the Father arranged for my return to Africa, so I could see the growth of the seeds I planted.  Sister Lousie Horn from West Palm Beach went with me, and she was a lively traveling companion.  The Nigerian people just loved her and her ministry, and they asked her to return also.  How sad I am that my advanced age has not allowed me to travel back there again.


The growth that I witnessed was tremendous!  They now had nine churches and four missions, and everyone of them had electric lights.  Previously, they had electricity ony in Post Harcourt; the rest of the missions had been run on generators.  This was amazing to me, as they had done the work all themselves without any other contact from America.


The hospitality of the African people was wonderful.  People in the Congo and Ghana and Nigeria just opened their hearts and their homes, and they gave whatever they could.  It was so beautiful!


Most had work; many had their own businesses.  When I was there in 1971, they didn't have any ice cream, and they didn't have any instant coffee, but this time, all these things were there.  In fact, Sister Udoh had a cafe.  It was so exciting to see the growth of the Seed I had planted.  I couldn't believe my eyes at their progress.


Inn 1971, when I was in the Congo, I kept crying out to the Lord and asking, "Lord, what am I doing here?  Why am I here?"


And then God gave me the scripture, "Be not weary in well doing, for in due season you shall reap."  This was now my due season.


Every place I went there were such wonderful, glowing reports.  It was the Father's gift to me to allow me to witness this great harvest.


OFF TO THE PHILIPPINES


At this time the Lord also made a way for Donna Jenkins from Sterling Heights, Michigan and me to travel together to the Phillippine Islands.  It was a wonderful experience going together as one.  Many sons are brought together as the one Son Jesus Christ, our head and Lord.


While in the Philippine Islands, we visited Brother Hawley and his wife who had a beautiful work in Baggio City.  We ministered the Plan of the Ages to the people there, and it was very well received.  In addition, we were able to furnish some money to have two of my books printed there: God's UnFailing Love Revealed In The Cross and God's Unfailing Plan Revealed In The Eons.  Each book contained my chart of God's Plan of the Ages.


We were blessed to be able to do this work for the people in the Philippines, because God is awakening them in this hour.  He is moving in a special way among them, and they are hearing and receiving.


Brother Hawlwey's son had a small school started in Manila, and this was a wonderful means of teaching the young peoople the message of salvation and God's great plan and purpose for their lives.


I will never forget these dear ones I met who blessed me, not only with their natural things, but with the love and respect in the Spirit.  And I found this to be true everywhere I travelled around the world.  We are just one world, vitally connected with each other.


THE WORK IN BRAZIL


My dear friends Jessie and Yvonne De Sousa, who were originally from Brazil, had received the call upon their hearts to return to that country and build a mission in their home town of Montenna.


When they left, Brother De Sousa took several video messages and some cassette tapes with him.  One of the videos was of me speaking on God's Great Plan of the Ages.  On this video tape, which ran two hours, I spoke in English explaining God's Plan, using a colored chart, while Brother De Sousa interpreted in the Portuguese language so the peoople there whould be able to understand.


Now, he did not intend to show this video right away; he wanted first to lay down a foundation on the message of reconciliation.  However, some of the young people found it and played it, and they received it, because they didn't haave any reservations about it; they had not been brainwashed by the traditions of men as we Americans tend to be.  They just heard it by the Spirit and realized it was true.  They were so happy about it that they began to show it to others, and before Brother De Sousa realized it, many people had seen it, young and old alike.  They all began to ask questions and wanted him to tell them more about it.  Finally, they began saying that they wanted to meet this lady on the video.


I realize now that it takes more than writing a letter or sendng a tract or sending money; it takes a personal touch.  Jesus didn't just write us a letter, He came in person.  He came to be where we were; He came to be one of us and live like we did.  He didn't just tell us, He lived as our example.  It is this great love that they feel and desire to see and to touch.  So, the Father impressed me to go show His love to the dear people in Brazil.


In order for me not to have to travel alone, God raised up Paul and Margaret Fritsche to go with me.


Just a day before we were to leave West Palm Beach for Brazil, the phone rang, and it was Brother De Sousa asking me to buy a certain kind of camera that would take pictures suitable for use in a newspaper.  Since I felt Brother Fritshe was more knowledgeable about cameras, I let Brother De Sousa speak to him.  Brother De Sousa had explained that the man who wanted the camera ran a radio station, and he wanted to publish a little newspaper.  He needed the camera to take pictures for the paper.  This man promised us radio time if we got it for him.


We arrived in Rio de Janeiro and took two days to just see the sights.  There is an enormous statue of Jesus on top of a mountain, and at night, when all the other lights are off, it looks like this statue is coming right out of the clouds.  I know we have been taught for many years that Jesus is coming down out of the clouds of heaven, and there certainly is a coming of Christ, but it is a coming to the reality of our identity as the Christ within us.


When we left Rio de Janeiro, we drove about a hundred and fifty miles to the tiny village of Montenna, and God really blessed us while we were there.


The brother we brought the camera for not only had the radio station, but he was also the mayor of Montenna.  This dear brother said that he wanted to interview us on the radio.  He said that he would just ask us questions, and we were to answer the questions.  The first question he asked was, "How do you like Brazil?"


Well, of course, we told him of the wonderful two days we had had in Rio de Janeiro, and that we enjoyed the warm hospitality of the Brazilian people.


Then he asked us what we really came for.  And, since I was the  main one, having the Plan of the Ages to share with the people, he was addrressing me.


So, I said, "God sent me.  A church did not send me; God sent me.  And he sent me with a message, and that message is that God loves you."  From then on, the Lord just began to take over, and it was wonderful.  Because of that interview on the radio, doors began to open for us.


God used everyone in a marvelous way.  I would conduct the morning meetings, and Brother and Sister Fritsche would take over in the afternoon, because I would be tired by then.  In the afternoon, there would be a question and answer period, and the people whould gather around and ask what was on their heart and receive answers.  That is really the way to bring forth a teaching to a people, because it gives understanding and gives them the opportunity to share in the services.


The movie house even closed down for four nights to give us opportunity to speak in the hall.  Since the teenages had no place to go, they would come and sit in the back.  So, many people of all ages were being exposed to the message.


Through the radio program, we had been invited to a barbeque, but we could not get there until after the service at the movie house, which ended about ten o'clock.  The party was attended by many business people, a totally different group from the one at the movie house.  These businessmen began asking us many questions.  Since there was a great deal of noise coming from the children, who were also at the party, the men and women drew close to us, so they could hear what we had to say.  Finally, it was after midnight, and I went to lie down while Brother and Sister Fritsche continued answering questions, reading the scriptures, and teaching the people. 


These precious souls were all so hungry.  Many of the people were Catholic, but because they had left the Catholic Church, they claimed that they were atheists.  As it turned out, they were just hungry to hear the true message.  The church has presented a false image of God for so long that the people who rejected that image thought they had rejected God.  These people were hungry for the true and living God, the Christ within their very own being.


A Catholic priest had heard us on the radio and invited us to have a meeting with an Alcoholic's Anonymous group he had established.  He said he had a building where they all met.


Well, I had never been in an AA meeting, and it was a great privilege to meet these men and be able to present the truths of the power of God that lighteth every man who comes into the world.  Since there was a crucifix hanging on the wall in this room, I didn't feel it would be intruding on their beliefs to tell them that this great power is the Christ within them.


Finally, our work in Brazil was completed, and we were ready to return to the United States.  It had been wonderful travelling with Paul and Margaret.  Paul was so kind and efficient; he always handled our luggage, took care of the tickets, and made our arrangements.  I could not imagine making that trip without them.  I later discovered that this was not my last trip to Brazil.


(to be continued)

No comments: