Monday, November 19, 2007

Rumi

Rumi - [13th century Sufi poet in case some may not know :) ]

The following poem posted by Ron:

If you bake bread with the wheat that grows on my grave
you'll become drunk with joy and
even the oven will recite ecstatic poems.
If you come to pay your respects
even my gravestone will invite you to dance
so don't come without your drum.
Don't be sad. You have come to Gods feast.
Even death cannot stop my yearning
for the sweet kiss of my love.
Tear my shroud and wear it as a shirt,
the door will open and you'll hear
the music of your soul fill the air.
I am created from the ecstasy of love and
when I die, my essence will be released
like the scent of crushed rose petals.
My soul wants to leap and join
the towering soul of Shams.

-- Ghazal (Ode) 683
Translated by Azima Melita Kolin
and Maryam Mafi"
Rumi: Hidden Music"
HarperCollins Publishers Ltd, 2001

*********************************
My reply:
Wow! That poem was powerful, Ron. Instead of hearing that as my literal or natural death, I read that as being crucified with Christ and no wonder its an invitation to God's ensuing resurrection feast.

Love, K.

*********************************

Ron replies:

Yes, my friend, I definitely RUMI-nated some serious enzymes upon reading it too....a definite digestion-aid to strengthen and VITALIZE our spirit to enable us to leap over a whole series of death-hurdles..... being gloriously OPENED up to the THRUSTINGS of such a TRUSTworthy AMAZING GRACE uswards ...in Christ's WAKEfulness penetrates and pierces 'e-v-i-l'.....living ass-backwards like retreating LOVE-deniers.... to shreds.... and by accepting the 'enemy' ...learning to embrace and enfold him...us...within this VASTLESS vessel-venue of GOD'S LOVE.... .... oh,death where is your sting becomes and remains an easy anthem of praise for each psalmist to jubilantly sing out....

No comments: